The bicycle training


My grandfather nurtured a dream that his grandson would learn to ride a bicycle. It began to come into reality when I was promoted to Grade 3. My elder cousin was gifted with a bicycle when he was of my age. Over the years his legs grew long and he was unable to manage that smaller bike. Hence, it was decided that I would use that old blue and red rusted bicycle. I was excited to see a real big gift when it was brought to our house in a yellow public taxi. It didn’t matter whether my gift was really new or old. In those days we used to recycle a lot of things. A neighbour boy who used to work in a cycle repair shop was asked to oil and polish my bicycle and make it a ridable one. He was also invited to be my trainer. There was no question of remuneration; but he was given an offer by my grandfather. He announced, “I will give you a box full of twenty rasgollas the day my grandson rides this bicycle himself.” The boy, named Raja, smiled and nodded in agreement. 

The next day he came during the noon to teach me bicycle ride. There was a large open ground where the local boys used to play football in the afternoon. He brought the bicycle to one corner of the ground and told me, “Taku, hold the two handles tightly and circle the ground on foot with your bike.” It took about seven minutes for me to reach the point where he was standing. He said, “Very good, you’re learning it well. Do it two more times.” I was slightly taken aback. What kind of training was that? How will learn riding when I was walking with the bicycle? But I had to obey my trainer. 

When I finished my second turn, he patted my back and rang the bell in appreciation. Next I heard him saying, “Now ride on your vehicle. Fix your bottom on the seat, and hold the handles steadily. Do remember that you will never look back at me and down at the moving wheels. Always look straight.” I thought I would fall down and get hurt. I raised my voice, “How can I do that on my first day?” Raja answered firmly, “Don’t worry, my friend. I will keep you holding from the back.” When I placed myself on the bicycle, he clenched the carrier tightly so I didn’t lose balance on the two wheels. He asked me to push the pedals together, one up and another down. I said, “Raja, I am frightened I will lose balance.” He assured me, “How will you fall when I am giving you support with my two hands?” 

My grandfather was watching this class sitting on a wooden bench at a distance. He didn’t interfere as he didn’t know cycling himself. The bicycle headed forward as the pedals started moving with my legs. I shouted, “Raja, don’t leave my support.” I heard him saying from the back, “I am there, but don’t look back.” It seemed I was flying with two wings when the bicycle was actually moving. I knew Raja was there behind me. I took the same path of circling the ground and stared at my front as I was told. Suddenly I saw my grandfather grinning at me. I stopped where he stood and looked back. Raja was not there. He was running towards us from the point I started. He was calling out in delight, “Grandfather, Taku has learnt it in a day. Won’t you keep your promise now?” My grandfather was ecstatic, “Why not, my dear? Let’s go to the sweet shop. We will celebrate this event right now.”

Illustration credit: Urmi Bhattacharjee

Comments

  1. Enjoyed reading this! Brought back memories of my own childhood and the thrill I experiences when for the first time, I realized that I was riding my bicycle all by myself, without anyone's help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, the illustration by Urmi Bhattacharjee brings the story alive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

শকুন্তলা: রূপ থেকে রূপান্তরে

দিল্লীর প্রবাস জীবনে রবীন্দ্রনাথ

Bengali narrative: What are we known for?